At Bacon Street we focus on evidence based family, group, and individual prevention strategies and programs. Our services promote the conditions under which people can confront situations in their lives in constructive and healthy ways without the destructive response of substance abuse.
What might that look like? Well, we…
- Work with our local recreation programs to implement the Character Counts curriculum into the “Rec’in It Out” program through James City County.
- Coordinate with the SHIP (School Health Initiative Program) staff to implement a new Character Counts program in collaboration with their afterschool running programs, targeted at youth and families.
- Presented Red Ribbon Week programming with Queen’s Lake Middle School and Bruton High School in York County in October.
- Presented the film, “The Hungry Heart” in collaboration with Sentara Williamsburg and Pinto Chiropractic and Rehabilitation to begin addressing the concerns related to the opioid epidemic.
- Provide the Say Yes to No Parenting curriculum to parents and families in our area, a five week curriculum that helps parents set healthy boundaries with the growing children.
- Engage with local clubs and organizations about the dangers of the opioid epidemic and spread awareness of how communities can become involved in creating positive change.