Parents & Family Support Group – Bacon Street Youth and Family Services (Yorktown location), 4034 George Washington Memorial Highway Yorktown, VA 23692
The Parent Support Group is newly added to the programming schedule and is held at Bacon Street’s Yorktown location. This group is completely open to the public (you do not need to be a client to attend!) and parents and family members of those struggling with addiction or substance use are encouraged to join us! This drop-in group is FREE and is held every Monday from 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm. To sign up, click here!
Strengthening Families Program 10-14
Bacon Street offers the Strengthening Families Program 10-14 in Williamsburg and Yorktown (soon to be Gloucester as well!). This evidence-based program is designed to address effective parenting skills, promote increased family communication, and improve parent-child relationships, social competencies, and school performance. This program is FREE. FREE meals for all families, as well as FREE childcare for younger children will be provided. One child in the family should be between 10 and 14 years of age; older siblings may participate. The first four families to sign up and complete this program receive a $25 gift card!
According to Iowa State, results from this program include:
- Youth attending the program had significantly lower rates of alcohol, tobacco and marijuana use compared to control youth.
- The differences between program and control youth actually increased over time, indicating that skills learned and strong parent-child relationships continue to have greater and greater influence.
- Youth attending the program had significantly fewer conduct problems in school than youth in the control group.
- Parents showed gains in specific parenting skills including setting appropriate limits and building a positive relationship with their youth.
- Parents showed an increase in positive feelings towards their child.
- Parents show gains on general child management including setting rules and following through with consequences.
- Parents increase skills in general child management such as effectively monitoring youth and having appropriate and consistent discipline.
Here is the latest on upcoming sessions:
10/16/19 – 11/20/19
|5:30 pm – 8:00 pm
|WJCC Rec Center
5301 Longhill Road
Williamsburg, VA 23188
|Click here to register for this session!|
These programs are coming soon. Check back for updates!
Williamsburg Parent Support Group – 247 McLaws Circle, Williamsburg, VA 23185
The Williamsburg Parent Support Group has been a mainstay of the programming that Bacon Street has provided for the past several decades, and is always held at the Bacon Street Youth and Family Services offices. This group is completely open to the public (you do not need to be a client to attend!) and parents and family members of those struggling with addiction or substance use are encouraged to join us! This drop-in group is FREE. To sign up, click here!
“Say Yes to No” Parent Education Classes – 247 McLaws Circle, Williamsburg, VA 23185
“Say Yes to No” is a 5 week Parent Education Class that is designed for parents with children of all ages and is based on the award-winning book by Dr. David Walsh, “No: Why Kids-of All Ages Need to Hear It and Ways Parents Can Say It.” This program operates for 5 weeks. The cost for the program is $175 for the 5 weeks, and dinner is provided. This program operates at our Williamsburg office. Programs will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis, and we will do our best to arrange the groups based on the age(s) of the children in the family. Click here to learn more about the book! Scroll down for additional information on this program.
If you are interested in participating in this group, please call the office at (757) 253-0111 or email email@example.com. There is a minimum requirement of 5 participants to begin this program. The cost is $35/session per family unit or $175 in total. Scholarship/financial assistance is available to those who meet the criteria.